Hydrogen Peroxide IV Therapy
Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical compound with the formula H202. It is a clear, viscous liquid with strong oxidizing properties and is commonly used in disinfectants and bleaches. In fact, many people use hydrogen peroxide as a mild antiseptic on the skin to prevent infections of minor cuts, scrapes and burns. Another use of hydrogen peroxide is as a mouth rinse to help remove mucus or relieve minor mouth problems such as cankers or gingivitis.
Hydrogen peroxide works by releasing oxygen when it is applied to the area and its ability to kill microorganisms in the human body has been well documented since 1920. What most people may not realize is that hydrogen peroxide is part of your bodies natural immune defense.
In the immune system, white blood cells produce "peroxisomes," which manufactures Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) within the cells. The white blood cells engulf the virus or bacteria and with the help of peroxisomes, destroy the pathogen.
When a medical grade hydrogen peroxide is infused into the veins, it bypasses the gut, and then breaks down into various oxygen sub-species. Through its actions, hydrogen peroxide severely inhibits the growth of anaerobic organisms. Anaerobic organisms (bacteria and viruses) do not require or are capable of occurring, in the absence of air or free oxygen. When the hydrogen peroxide comes in contact with anaerobic organisms its ability to inhibit growth is immediate.
Below is a list of some of the most common benefits of H202 IV therapy.
- Boosts the immune system
- Helps to combat the common cold
- Eases flu symptoms
- Increases oxygen content of tissues - especially useful for people who suffer from oxygen deprivation due to poor circulation
- Inhibits all types of infections: viral, bacterial, fungal, parasitic
- Dissolves cholesterol and calcium deposits associated with atherosclerosis
- Clears the lungs in cases of emphysema by producing oxygen bubbles in the alveoli which helps the mucus deposits to be coughed out
- Transforms toxins into inert substances by oxidizing them
- Diseases helped with Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy
- This is not an exhaustive list but you will find hydrogen peroxide IV therapy particularly useful with these ailments:
- Chronic fatigue
- Allergies from the environment
- Lyme disease
- Fungal infections
- Lung conditions, including asthma, COPD and emphysema
- Acute respiratory infections
Side effects for hydrogen peroxide therapy are not common, however, these side effects could occur:
- Vein inflammation – less apt to occur in larger veins.
- Chest discomfort, shortness of breath.
- Pain at infusion site – changing location of the needle will work in most cases.
- Red streak on arm – normally harmless but may need to move the needle if indicated.
- Herxheimer reaction – possible nausea, aches, headaches, chills and mild diarrhea; occurs rarely and only in Candida (yeast infection) patients.
To find out if hydrogen peroxide IV therapy is right for you, schedule an appointment with us or visit your local naturopathic doctor. We offer several IV therapies and a thorough examination will help us to determine the appropriate treatment plan for you.